A clean Airbnb is essential for receiving good reviews from guests and building your Airbnb business.
While obviously, the cleaning time will vary depending on your property, most Airbnbs will take about 4 to 6 hours to clean if the laundry is done on-site. If you take the laundry elsewhere to clean it, this time can be reduced to 2-3 hours.
Meanwhile, a smaller condo-style property can be cleaned in only 1 hour if the laundry is prepared in advance.
How To Clean Your Airbnb
Supplies and Equipment
Do’s of Cleaning an Airbnb
- Use a caddy to carry your supplies from room to room
- Do a walkthrough around the property when you first arrive to help you prioritize and identify any potential problem areas immediately
- As you walk, bring your All-Purpose Cleaner and spray areas that will need to be cleaned so that the cleaner can start working. Just be careful not to spray too much because it will take longer to clean if you over-do it
- Count the bedsheets and towels to make sure you have all the linens you will need for the next guests
- Clean room by room and finish each room before moving on to the next
- If the cleaning is going to be delayed for any reason, communicate with the guest as soon as possible.
Dont’s of Cleaning an Airbnb
- Don’t let the dirty laundry build up over multiple days. It’s always best to stay on top of this because sometimes emergencies or unforeseen circumstances arise, and you want to make sure there are enough linens in that situation
- Don’t throw away any belongings left by the previous guest, unless it is perishable food items. They may want to return these items or ask for them to be sent by mail if necessary
- Don’t leave any areas unfinished because if you move on to a different task, it is possible you will forget or run out of time to return to that area
Room-by-Room Cleaning Steps
Some guests may never use the kitchen, but to others, it can be a critical component of their Airbnb experience. That’s why it’s always important to make sure the kitchen is clean and well-organized.
- Wash and dry all dishes
- Organize the dishes in cabinets/drawers
- Clean the stove top and oven, including any potential splash areas around the stove
- Clean the refrigerator inside and out. Place baking soda in the fridge to help eliminate odours
- Check and clean appliances such as the coffee maker, toaster, blender and crockpot if your Airbnb has these items
- Replace the sponge and re-fill the dish soap if necessary
- Shine the stainless steel
- Take out the trash and replace the bin liner
- Run the dishwasher and garbage disposal if applicable
- Clean all surfaces with the correct chemical
A clean bathroom is very important to all guests. Since they will be using the showers and toilets that previous guests have used, this is perhaps the most critical area of the entire property.
- Clean the toilet bowl, underneath the lid, the seat, the base of the toilet and behind it as well
- Clean the bathtub and shower with bleach if the surfaces can handle bleach/Clorox
- Clean all surfaces and countertops
- Squeegee all glass and mirrors
- Clean the tracks of the shower
- Use a “magic eraser” to clean grout lines and remove mildew
- Sweep with a broom or vacuum the floor
- Mop the floor
- Vacuum one more time to get any leftover hair or debris that may be remaining
While the number and size of bedrooms will vary, this checklist is a good one to follow for any bedroom.
- Make the beds with fresh sheets and pillowcases. Beds that do not appear to be used should still be checked and cleaned
- Check the following areas for any belongings of previous guests or to identify areas that need to be cleaned more thoroughly:
- Under the bed
- Under cabinets
- In the closet
- In drawers
- Behind doors
- Clean all surfaces, including nightstands, dressers, desks, etc.
- Clean any windows or mirrors
- Vacuum and mop the floors
- Organize the closet and make sure the room is “well-staged” for the next guests
All common areas such as living rooms should be well-cleaned and staged.
- Clean any TV and entertainment centre area, including sanitizing the remote controls
- Clean the couch or sofa and make sure to check underneath/between the cushions for food, personal items or anything else that may have been left behind by previous guests
- Look underneath the furniture and clean all drawers and surfaces
- Clean any door handles or door knobs, including on drawers/cabinets
- Clean any windows inside and out
If you have any outdoor areas, make sure they are tidy as well. The entryway to your home is a first impression for guests, so it’s good to have it uncluttered.
If you have a balcony or deck area, make sure to pick up any items like cigarette butts or other trash that may have been left behind.
If you have a yard or garden, make sure that it is free of weeds. If you have a pool, make sure it is properly cleaned after every guest.
Inspect After Cleaning
After your Airbnb has been cleaned, it is important to inspect it one final time to make sure everything was done properly.
For the final walk-through, you should:
- Check under the beds, in closets and in every drawer and cabinet to make sure the previous guests didn’t leave anything behind
- Check the pantry and refrigerator in case you need to throw out any food. Make sure the dishes are all clean
- Make sure all surfaces are clean and free of footprints, handprints, hair and streaks. Make sure you pay close attention to the bathroom, especially regarding hair
- Take pictures to document any damages and make note of any areas that might need maintenance soon
If you do all of that, you should have a beautiful and clean property that guests will love!
It can be a hassle, but the cleanliness of your Airbnb can make or break you, so it’s very important to maintain a high standard of cleanliness.
We hope this guide helps, good luck with your hosting!